Pain is expensive. Insurance doesn’t always cover treatments, and you might not have insurance at all. What kind of help is out there to help treat your migraine pain? We’ve compiled a few resources to give you guidance.
How to Pay for Migraine Treatment
- Most hospitals offer payment plans. They may not tell you this help is available, however — you’ll need to ask specifically to get on a payment plan. This often involves calling the billing or financial department of the hospital. Billing will receive this question often, so don’t be afraid to call and ask for the logistics.
- Make sure your insurance is covering everything it’s supposed to cover. Before seeking any treatment, call your insurance company and ask exactly what will be covered, and if you need prior authorization for treatment. Prior authorization can involve submitting a potential treatment plan to your insurance before receiving treatment or visiting a specialist. Ask for everything in writing, and bring this documentation to your specialist. Follow up with your insurance after each appointment.
- Join a clinical trial to get paid while getting necessary treatment. You can ask your doctor for trials, search online (clinicaltrials.gov is a good place to start), or check with local universities.
- Several organizations offer prescription payment assistance. A few examples are: https://www.pparx.org/, http://rxhope.com/ and https://www.needymeds.org/.
- Free and low-cost clinics exist in most cities. A Google search of “free clinic” plus your city name will yield these valuable results.
The financial burden of treating pain can feel insurmountable, but programs and options exist. You don’t have to suffer just because they money doesn’t feel available. Help is there with a little elbow grease.
Our Team: We are Here to Help
We are a small, dedicated app development team that wants you to better understand your migraines and triggers. Everyone on the team has lived with migraines at some point in their lives. We are your community, and we’re here to help. Reach out any time with questions. firstname.lastname@example.org.
As always — please seek the advice of a doctor for medical questions. Our app team cannot give medical advice.
Track Your Triggers
Get the Migraine Insight Tracker – iOS App Store
Write to us email@example.com